Welcome!

Welcome! Here we publish our views on new research and insights from the field of pulmonary medicine, most often focusing on topics related to exercise, nutrition, and other self-management techniques for those who suffer from chronic shortness of breath.

Whether you have COPD, currently smoke, or are just concerned about persistent shortness of breath and/or cough, read our articles to explore COPD treatment options and self-management techniques that can help you feel better NOW!



Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spring is Upon Us - Remember Your Pursed Lip Breathing!

Now that warmer (and more humid) weather is emerging across the U.S. pollen and other allergenic plant matter is exploding into our breatheable air. Most of us tend to increase our outdoor physical activity as temperatures become more temperate and the unwelcome allergens in the air can make it more challenging to breathe when we do so.

So this is a perfect time of year for you to reintroduce yourself to the breathing technique known as pursed lip breathing. It is a highly effective method for overcoming shortness of breath attacks. Though I am not personally a smoker nor do I have COPD I use pursed lip breathing regularly when I am pushing myself in a workout at the gym or if I am out on a run or if I am about to climb a significant number of steps. I can tell you categorically it is amazingly effective at improving my capacity to breathe when I am under cardiovascular stress. I have also introduced this valuable breathing technique to my 71 year-old father, who is a former smoker and does have COPD. Ironically, until he read my Breathe Better for Life guide/CD, he had never heard of pursed lip breathing from his pulmonologist nor ever tried it. Needless to say, he is a convert and regular practitioner now.

If you are unfamiliar with the technique, I've included a link to a printable step-by-step instruction sheet from our Breathe Better for Life CD. To access the instructions, click here . If you are interested in ordering the full Breathe Better for Life guide/CD, visit www.breathebetterforlife.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment